Thursday, June 13, 2013

Four Campaigns I’d Like to Run

We’ve been playing a lot of EPOCH recently, which has been terrific fun, but too much single-session madness can sometimes set you hankering for the meaty substance of a longer campaign.  There are many games on my shelf that I’ve been looking at wistfully – planning to run one day when time permits.  Here’s my shortlist:
 
1. Call of Cthulhu 7th ed.: Horror on the Orient Express
A Chaosium classic, I played through parts of this campaign and ran parts of this campaign years later, but I’ve yet to give it a thorough and solid run.  An evocative campaign with many classic horror moments, I plan to run this campaign with 7th edition next year, when both that kickstarter and the new Orient Express Kickstarter are delivered.  I’m particularly interested in seeing how the writers have addressed some of the more ‘clunky’ elements of this campaign, and what material they’ve added to the new prequel scenarios.
 
2. Rogue Trader: The Warpstorm Trilogy
After running Lure of the Expanse I had a hankering for another, longer Rogue Trader campaign.  The Warpstorm Trilogy remains high on my ‘to be run’ shelf, although I am a little concerned about how many Rogue Trader books have been published since we finished Lure of the Expanse, and what new or extended rules might now exist, and have to be ferreted out, deciphered and interpreted.  As always with Rogue Trader, the amount of preparation needed to stay ahead of the curve seems fairly high, as each sub-element of the game has different rules and tables.
 
3. WFRP 3rd Edition: The Enemy Within
This version of the game has vexed me for some time.  I really like the idea of this game, and some of the elements of the latest edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay seem really neat.  My initial playtest of this edition was not a great success, but that probably had something to do with just how many choices are involved in character creation.  I’d love to give it another try and this campaign seems like a good option.  I ran the original Enemy Within Campaign, and this product seems to have little resemblance to that, but I still think it will offer an entertaining and accessible epic fantasy campaign, if only we can get through character creation.
 
4. Mutants and Masterminds 3rd Edition
Epic Villains and Vigilantes campaigns were an important part of my formative gaming years.  Ever since I’ve thought it would be great to have an ongoing supers campaign with a decent amount of crunch.  My recent supers campaigns have had a much more narrative style – and while these have been great, I’d really like to run a game which used a more detailed system, and have players that were engaged with their characters on that level.  I think it would add a deeper level to the important narrative aspects.  M&M 3rd Edition seems like it might offer an interesting entry to this style of campaign.

3 comments:

  1. I am running (on the last book of 3) Horror on the Orient Express, playing Warpstorm Trilogy (combined with Lure of the Expanse) and would also like to give the new TEW a crack at some stage (though with WFRP2e) :)

    I recently picked up M&M3e (via DCA). Though it reads well, its shift to effects based powers made it very difficult for me in terms of PC creation. In fact, it actually made me realise for the first time that I strong dislike effect based systems. I think I would need either a pre-generated PC or the Power book (still to come out) as a player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're living the dream! Care to share how you're enjoying the campaigns in question? Is the Rogue Trader delivering you some reliable fun?

    Interesting comments on M&M. I admit I haven't really read 3rd edition as yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have only had one session of Rogue Trader (and one of PC creation) so our experience is limited. We loved space combat, and kicked serious booty in our first fight.

    As for M&M3e, it's a definite improvement on prior editions. If just find the effects power thing has become so overpowering it's more like learning a second language than playing a game. Rather than a fire ranged attack, you have a power with Damage, Persistent, Collateral qualities and various sub-qualities like Ranged.

    ReplyDelete